What are your New Year’s resolutions for 2020? In the new year, why not make a resolution that will benefit your health, well-being, and appearance, and that is easy to accomplish by year’s end? We’re talking about upping your skin care game to achieve better skin health, and Florida Dermatology and Skin Care Centers is here to help you get started with five fresh skin care tips to incorporate into your routine this year.
Five Skin Care Tips for the New Year
- Find a dermatologist you trust. You should see a dermatologist annually for a skin examination and a skin cancer screening. It’s important to find someone you feel comfortable with – if you have questions, you’re more likely to ask a trusted doctor. Find a dermatologist who is licensed and experienced, like Dr. K. Wade Foster at Florida Dermatology and Skin Cancer Centers.
- Perform regular self-checks on your skin. Nobody knows your skin better than you do – which means that no one else is in a better position to notice changes to your skin. Perform a self-check exam at least once a month, especially if you are at high risk for skin cancer. Take note of any new, unusual, or changing moles and other skin marks. Do the exam in a well-lit room and with a full-length mirror, if possible. A mirror can help you check hard-to-see places like your back. You can also ask a spouse or family member to help you examine difficult areas like your scalp and back.
- Wear sunscreen…..every single day. Wearing sunscreen is critical for protecting your skin against sun damage, sunburns, premature wrinkles and brown spots, and skin cancer. Slather up every single day, including gloomy and overcast days, because the sun’s rays penetrate most cloud coverage. One easy way to make applying sunscreen a habit is to buy a moisturizer with added SPF to use after you shower or wash your face in the morning. Make sure your sunscreen is at least SPF 30 and broad-spectrum.
- Find a good skin care routine for your face. Two of the most proactive steps you should be taking for good skin health are cleansing and moisturizing your face every day. Regular cleansing removes dirt, bacteria, and excess oil to prevent breakouts and irritation, while moisturizing keeps your skin healthy, hydrated, and fresh-looking. Cleanse and moisturize with gentle products once in the morning and once before bed. Don’t forget to remove all makeup before you wash your face at night. Makeup buildup can cause rashes, breakouts, and infections.
- Treat your skin gently. Use gentle skin care products that won’t cause skin irritation. Products with harsh chemicals and fragrances may cause rashes, breakouts, and allergic reactions. Choose cleansers, soaps, and moisturizers that are hypoallergenic and fragrance free. Always perform a skin patch test before using a new skin care product: apply a small amount of product to a patch of your wrist, arm, leg, or elbow. Wait 24 hours to see if your skin has a reaction to the product before using it over the rest of your body.
Call Florida Dermatology and Skin Cancer Centers to Schedule Your Consultation
One important step in taking care of your skin is early identification and diagnosis of skin conditions and skin cancer. An early diagnosis paired with a proactive treatment plan is more likely to yield effective results. At Florida Dermatology and Skin Cancer Centers, we promote preventative care like the suggestions listed above to keep your skin healthy all year long. Start 2020 by scheduling a consultation to speak with our licensed medical professionals about your skin health. Call our office today to make your appointment.